Monday, March 3, 2008

We'll Miss You Grandma!


Yesterday our sweet Grandma left to go home. She was 93 and lived a full life. She has been a big part of my life, growing up in the same town she was always there for me. I remember playing games at her house, eating raspberries from her yard, and walking to see her after swimming at the city pool in the summer. Vanilla ice cream always tasted the best at her house, and sometimes she made us wear our coats in July. She had the best giggle. Even when things were not easy she was always happy.
After Steve and I were married we were fortunate enough to live in her basement apartment. We were able to help her with little things like opening jars to fixing toilets. She helped us by giving us cheap rent while we were finishing school. I feel so blessed to have lived there with her. This is when I was able to spend the most time with her getting to know her better.
She was always very supportive of me and what I was doing. She loved my boys too. The day before she passed away we went to visit her in the hospital. She was happy to see everyone, but when she saw Caleb she got so excited! She sat up a little taller and wanted him to come and sit with her and hug her. She wanted him to stay right by her. She kept holding his little hand and rubbing his face. She loved him.
I know she is happy now. She is no longer in pain and is reunited with her sweetheart whom she has not seen for over 35 years. You have meant so much to us Grandma. We will miss you. We love you!

9 friendly comments:

Bon said...

That was a very touching post and it moved me to tears! Thanks for sharing!:)

Sara said...

Grandmas are the best! So much love! Our love to you in this sad/happy time.

M.S. said...

I'm glad to hear she is with her sweetheart! Tears were my eyes. Thank you for that slide show. I'm going to borrow that idea and post things on my site! Thanks!

Tammie said...

Oh I never know what to say at times like this. I'm just so glad we know what we know and that she is with her sweetie! I only met her a couple of times but instantly loved her! I'm so sorry for you loss I know what it's like to loose a sweet grandmother. But it has been my experience that though we don't see them they are with us even more often then they were before. Watching out for and helping us as we raise our children. A Grandmother's love is never ending!

Love, hugs, and well wishes to all of you!!

Ruckman Clan said...

I love what you said about your grandma. It made me cry. Grandmas are very special and will be forever. I love you!

Robinson Gang said...

Gena,
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I know it's better, but it's never fun to go through all of that jazz. How are your mom and dad holding up? I see on your date list on your blog that you are going to disneyland. That sounds like so much fun. Let us know how it went. I love you and it was so fun visiting with you (as short as it was) the other day.

Amy

Amber Lee said...

Gena, I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss, but I must admit that I can't be sad for your grandma, especially if she hasn't seen her sweetheart for so long! I'm so grateful for the gospel--it makes everything in life a little easier, doesn't it?

Amber Lee said...

Who is singing that beautiful song? I've never heard it before, but I have to have it!

Hans, Shell, Gabe, Hiett and Tait said...

Ada was such a sweet woman. I only met her a few times, but she was wonderful to know. I'm glad she finally got to go home.